22 August 2006

Right or Wrong?

Somehow i have the impression that nowadays, students are not paying attention in class during lesson and they think that it is perfectly fine.

If a teacher does his or her duty, the student will just give a very nonchalent or negative response. Let's take for example that a teacher is going through a passage and asked a particular student to carry on reading from where his classmate has stopped. -- The former is not able to read and attempts for the teacher to guide him to the exact spot of reading.

Teacher gets the impression that he is not listening, and asks him to stand up and wait for redemption.

He stood up and walks around!

Teacher asks him to quit walking around and stand properly with 2 legs and hands behind his back as it is a punishment for being inattention. He carries on behaving the way he was.

Teacher raised his/her voice, he responds with a simple one-worded answer, "what?"

Although it was looking quite innocent as was written in his face, was that an innocent mistake?

Baffling are students nowadays... ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was the one who left a message on ur tagboard a few days ago. U seem pretty stressed over several issues. Have u read "stressed-teacher.blogspot.com"? Maybe u'll feel better after reading it. =)

“兴”火燎原 said...

well, i do feel like that many a time. But i guess the system is not perfect. As such we all have to just adapt. Someone had this to say, "it's easy to be a teacher but it's very difficult to be a good one." I guess if one does not feel any stress, he/she is probably not doing a good job? :p

Anonymous said...

At first i also believe that stress will help ppl to improve themselves, but i see ppl around me having their personal lives affected because of their stress at work. Somehow, it's very difficult to achieve a work-life balance. How long have u been teaching? Sorry i didn't read ur blog. To be v frank, I need to submit my portfolio with all my "reflections". I'm not good with words, I don't know how to express my ideas "expressively" and at the same time, being politically correct. So I went online to search for stuff and got directed to ur blog, this page. I've been teaching for about a year. I was very idealistic and passionate about teaching at first. But somehow, i feel the passion is dying fast, unexpectedly.

Anonymous said...

The reason why i recommend the "stressed-teacher" blog to you is because i felt better after reading it. At least I know there is someone out there who loves teaching but at the same time being unhappy with the system. I got a feeling that I am not alone. Sounds stupid right? But that's really my honest feeling. Anyway, hope my comments won't contaminate ur blog. Feel free to delete them whenever u like. =) Take care and enjoy ur hols.

“兴”火燎原 said...

no you are not contaminating it! i love comments! Don't be discouraged! I am sure that many jobs have their goods and bads! The most important thing is to make sure that the goods supersede the bad so that we can carry on. I think my goods are more the bads. And let me know if i can be of any help too! Jiayous!

Anonymous said...

I just came back fr my hols.Feeling refreshed. =) I was feeling pretty down that time because 1 of my colleague had a miscarriage and another one is down with depression. So, i was thinking about the meaning of my job.

“兴”火燎原 said...

Actually i have similar experiences but i cannot say much as i don't want my students to read this. (not professional)

In as sense i guess teaching is a great job for some people and leaving it because of work related stress seems no reason enough.

All the more we should hang on if we believe in the meaning of it. Maybe there are many things that we are powerless to change but there are also many that we can.

I remember a student wrote to me and said that i have taught him about a lot on life. I think that was just rewarding enough to flood the bad experiences away.

The important thing is, there will always be bads and goods. Why not use the good and manage the bad?

加油 and carry on ur noble job ya?