07 September 2005

About Giving Ourselves

Many a time i will always ask myself this question: is it worth giving part of yourself away for the benefit of others? Perhaps even giving everything of yourself away?

I first asked myself this question when i became a NCO at the age of 15. This was not the normal help brothers and sisters affair, nor did it make any compulsory obligation out of myself. I was just put in charge of a job, and i would be fulfilling my responsibility if i do my job well.

In the end i chose the less traveled path; that i will do everything within my means to help this group of juniors who were younger than me and i will do everything in my power to ensure that whatever good that was transferred to myself was going to be in turn transversed.

In the end when it was time for me to graduate, i got this green grasshopper and a present, a handmade one, and a little note that expresses the gratitude that my juniors have for me.

And so today all of them should already be holding their own jobs and most probably have forgotten that the very grasshopper for which they had made that very year still lingers and takes up a very big part of my heart. And that while they might have soared high and far, they will forever be in my heart.

No comments: