26 August 2007

Awakening

At the hospital visiting dad when he was found to be asleep. I did not wake him up as he had always complained about his inability to sleep all these years because of the breathlessness. He had seldom been so soundly asleep. Despite the disturbances from the nurses and the talking from the visitors, he held on still in his dreams. I stood there, quiet and reading a wad of newpapers in my hands, silent in the room where many patients were attended by their loved ones.

The nurse called out his name and he was still fast asleep. As he woke, he did not seem to be able to respond to the conversation. I figured it must all have been a blur to him, to be awoken from his deep sleep. And it didn't seem that he got the message that i was already by his side at the bed when the nurse tried to capture his attention.

Then it dawned on me.

What if the future will be as such? What if we could never communicate any more? Would the persistence had been fruitful and achieved whatever means it had been intended?

Father did not asked for much. The usual complaints, the single request for a piece of soap although toiletries were provided for.

I guess I will have to get him, for that was the only thing I can do at the very least.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hengsia,祝你的父亲早日康复!

“兴”火燎原 said...

谢谢你!

Anonymous said...

Hengsia,节哀顺变。别太难过,请化悲伤为力量,继续为生活前进、打拚。

“兴”火燎原 said...

谢谢!只是觉得一些失落,不然都还好。祝你假期愉快!

Anonymous said...

Hengsia,谢谢你。

虽然失落是难免的,但时间是治疗伤口的良药,好好收拾心情,坚强起来。